In this day and age, PDF and Word Document files are among the most used file formats. These document types are used for personal, official, and business use. However, each file gives you different features and applicability. As such, there are advantages and disadvantages associated with each. This article will highlight the difference between PDF and word doc and when best to use each.
About a PDF
PDF stands for Portable Document Format. This file type was developed by Adobe. It allows users to store and present texts, pictures, tables, graphics, and other human-readable information. Although PDF files are not always fully editable, there are PDF files that allow users to input information. Like most documents, a PDF file provides information in a formatted form, which makes it ideal for professional use.
Word document is a popular text document developed by Microsoft. It allows users to input text, images, and other human-readable information. Unlike a PDF file, a word document is fully editable unless protected by a user.
Word documents come in different formats. Each variation may work best on different application versions. However, the .docx format is widely considered the standard version of the word document.
Features and Uses of PDF and Word Documents
Although each file stores and presents information, there is a distinction between a PDF file and a word document file. These features and differences are highlighted below.
A PDF file is made to store text, bitmap graphics, and vectors in a portable and stable form. This structure prevents PDF files from being distorted when opened on supported applications. Similarly, the unique feature of this file format makes it compatible with different application types, including Adobe Acrobat, web browsers, and other display software. However, information stored in a PDF file will likely occupy more space than a word document.
A word document file consists of XML files with zipped contents. Texts, images, and tables on this file are stored within archives. As such, only specific applications can successfully read the content of a word document. The most obvious apps you can use are Microsoft Word and Google Docs. Each of these applications and more supports word documents by displaying content and features. Likewise, it consumes less space compared to a PDF file.
A PDF file’s use cycle is different from that of a word document. As such, a PDF can be shared, viewed, and reviewed with ease. It can also be used for filling out documents and agreements. However, editing every aspect of the file is almost impossible. The only thing a user can do is add a comment, annotate, fill forms, add visual objects, and draw. These actions can be done using specialized applications.
If you are thinking of drafting and editing content, a word document file should be your go-to option. This file lets you write and edit content with easy. It also gives you the creative freedom to change the features of the file. Likewise, you can print and convert it to a format that includes PDF.
Collaboration with a PDF file is possible. However, there are lots of limitations associated with this. Users can only comment or annotate this document. Any further manipulation is inefficient. Yet, it is more secure.
A word document is an ideal option for collaboration. Multiple users can work on a file through Microsoft 360. The only requirement is there to be connectivity if they want to work in real-time. However, a user can track changes to any word document, which can be reviewed and accepted by others.
Check out our useful articles:
- How to Merge PDF Online
- How to Split PDF Online
- How to Convert PDF to Image Online
- How to Convert PDF to Text Online
- How to Convert PDF to JSON Online
- How to Convert Image to Text Online
- How to Convert Image to PDF Online
- How to Protect PDF Online
- How to Sign and Fill PDF Online
- How to Become a Minimalist Remote Worker
- How to Protect Your Business from Cyber Attacks in 2022
- How to Extract Pages from PDF
- How to Separate Pages from PDF
- TOP-10 Virtual Classroom Tools in 2022
- Ways to Secure Your PDF File
- Cyber Security 101 for Businesses in 2022
- Improve Your Daily Work Productivity
- How to Lead Your Team in Times of Crisis
- Optimize Your Website for SEO
- TOP-11 Businesses that Switched to Remote Work in 2022
- What is PDF and PDF/A
- Beginner’s Guide to Office to PDF
- How to Convert JPEG Format to PDF using PDFlite.co
- PDFlite.co Can be Used as Desktop Apps
- Must-Have PDF Tools for Professionals
- OCR Explained, Why You Need it
- TOP-10 PDF Tools for Remote Workers
- How to Add Page Numbers to PDF using PDFlite.co
- How to Split PDF to Single Pages using PDFlite.co
- TOP-10 PDF Tools for Students
- How to Go Paperless in 2022
- Why Sign with Digital Signature
- TOP-10 Time-Saving Tips for a Productive Day
- How a Digital Signature Works to Secure Documents Online
- How to Hire Generation Z
- How to Onboard Someone Remotely in 5 Steps
- 1040 Schedule C - How the IRS Works for Small Businesses
- How to Digitize School Paperwork in 2022
- How to File a Sales Tax Return in California
- How to Get a Divorce in California
- How to Start Your Own Nonprofit
- Top-Ten Charitable Organizations in 2022
- US Tax Forms in 2022 vs 2021 - What Changed?
- Get Public Assistance for the U.S. Individuals under Major Disaster Declarations
- What PDF Tools Digitally Transform Financial Sector
- Use Simplified PDF Viewer with Coordinates
- How to Convert Any Image to Base64
- How to Convert Scanned Document to PDF and Sign It
- How to Draw a Signature and Save It
- Digital Signatures in Japan
- How Digital Signatures in Ethereum Work
- Digital Signature vs. MAC
- How to Validate Digital Signatures
- Digital Signature vs. Electronic Signature – Features and Differences
- How Digital Signatures in Bitcoin Work
- How to Fill and Sign IRS Forms
- How to Split PDF into Single Pages & Merge Some Back Together
- Advantages of Sending PDF over Word Doc to Your Clients
- Why PDF is More Secure Than Word Docs in Business Communications
- PDF vs. Word Doc: Which Format is Best in Various Situations